Dinner time is pretty chaotic at our household.
I'm not going to doubt Baby Boo stands naked on our patio shouting the names of animals and animal noises, while I'm chopping veggies.
Nor am I gonna lie that I have to run to her screaming, "No Baby Boo, DO NOT pee on the patio!!, and casually smile at the neighbors acting like barking naked children outside is completely the norm.
And while I struggle to hose down my daughters marked territory and put a diaper on her before something really gross happens, I'm screaming at the hubby, " If you even think about going into the kitchen and eating a bowl of cereal before dinner...!"
And finally when I've managed to control some of the certain situations going on, I realize I have to wash dishes just so I can cook something.
Then, there is the constant battle of what to make.
Me: What do u want for dinner?
Me: How about pizza
Me: No, what about a sand which
Me: Just Guacamole?
Hubs: How about cereal?
Me: Go take your daughter for a walk
If I was crazy, I would be making three separate meals, since we all have pretty different preferences. That, or I could just open a tub of hummus and hand out spoons and everybody would be satisfied.
Instead, I'll make ONE dinner...enjoyable for THREE different palates!
Orange Glazed Chickpeas with Sesame Grilled Zucchini
Ingredients: Orange Glaze Sauce
1 can coconut milk
zest and juice of two oranges
1/4 C. lemon juice
1/3 C. rice vinegar
3 TB. agave
1 tsp. grated ginger
1 tsp. chopped garlic
2 TB. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. red pepper spice
1 tsp. Cumin
Dash of Paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 tsp. corn starch dissolved in 2 tsp. cold water
*1 Can Chickpeas drained and rinsed(if not using chicken, use 2-3 cans)
*Optional: Chicken(2 breast)
1. Add all ingredients (expect corn starch mixture and chickpeas) into a pot, and heat until it boils. Stir in corn starch mixture, and reduce head to med-low, and let mixture simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
2. Place your chickpeas in a bowl or bag and cover with about 3/4 C. of glaze sauce. Let chickpeas soak in sauce for as long as you want. I did about 30 minutes.
3. If your making chicken for someone else, use the rest of the glaze sauce and marinade the chicken.
4. After marinades have set, take two separate pans (if using chickpeas and chicken), and in one add chickpeas and sauce, and the other add chicken. Let chickpeas cook over stove for about 5 -10 minutes on med-low heat. Continue to stir. If using chicken, cook on med heat for about 5-10 minutes until chicken is done.
* You can either do both chickpeas and chicken, or one or the other.
Sesame Grilled Zucchini
2-3 zucchini chopped
Salt and Pepper
1. In a bowl, and zucchini and drizzle with a little olive oil(1-2 TB) and a drizzle of soy sauce(1-2 TB) Sprinkle with S&P and Sesame seeds. Using a grill pan, saute the zucchini about 5-7 minutes, or until tender, and golden.
Here is the whole cooking process going down. I've got two pans for chickpeas and chicken, and then a griddle going for the zucchini.
Now, if you want to go the vegetarian route, then on your plate add some brown rice, zucchini and chickpeas!
But, if your hubs wants his meat, then simply throw meat on top of his dish.
(Yes, I even threw some chickpeas on there!)
And Baby Boo had a few bites of everything...suprisingly...
You want to know what my favorite part of the whole dinner experience really is?
This recipe is supposed to help those who want to eat a vegetarian meal, but don't want to go through the trouble of making two separate dinners for a meat lovers family. For more info on this, check out my new page I recently added yesterday all about The Way We Eat! :