I have always been in love with fall.
The leaves changing color and the weather getting cooler.
Along with tons of apples, squash, and pumpkin!
And cute sweaters and boots that I will never be able to afford.. :)
Unfortunately I live in a city where there really isn't seasons. The leaves might change colors, and the weather might require a sweater in the evening, but today when I looked at my car thermometer it read 97 degrees.
I know I'm crazy not to enjoy a summer vacation all year long, but I've lived in both extremes.
Really hot and really cold, and I can officially say that a little bit of both would be perfect. :-)
So for now, we do what we can and play in dog bowls filled with ice...
White trash activity? Maybe...
And instead of cider we drink milkshakes.
We also like to unhinge our jaws and eat huge honeycrisp apples...
And eat apple pie with our hands...
The same hands used to play in the dog bowl with...
Delicious AND nutritious!
Oh, and I may have gone a tad bit "Fall" crazy, and bought an 8 pound bag of honey crisp apples, but I had one thing on my mind...
Slow Cooker Apple Butter
*This is one of my favorite seasonal dishes to date! So sweet and delicious, and no one would guess that it isn't sugar heavy like other apple butter recipes!
This could also, I assume, be made over stove top.*
Makes about 7 cups
6 pounds apples(I used honey crisp)
1/3 C. 100% pure maple syrup
1/3 C. sucanat or brown sugar
1/2 C. apple cider
1 TB. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1. Wash, peel, and dice your apples and place in the crock pot. Add all other ingredients and mix until combined.
2. Turn crock pot on to high heat for one hour, then after that hour turn to low for....16-22 hours!! (I know this sounds crazy friends, but I promise you it's worth the wait. I did this in about 19 hours.)
3. Continually stir and mix every so often. Here is what it looked like after 6 hours:
4. Here is what it looked like at 19 hours:
5. From here, you can still cook the apple butter longer until its condensed completely, but we had to leave the house for a while, and I didn't want the crock pot on the whole time we were gone. So at this point, I pureed it in my blender to give it the smooth butter consistency.
6. It took me about 3 minutes to blend until smooth and creamy, but other blenders might take longer/faster. This also depends on your consistency preference.
7. For storing your apple butter, you have different options. You can either can it,(instructions on canning found HERE), or you can store it in the refrigerator. I'm not really sure how long it would last in the refrigerator, but I am assuming a few weeks. Of coarse...If you take one bite of this, it probably won't last very long...
There are SOO many ideas, when it comes to using Apple Butter:
Pasta(a little tablespoon or so might give it an interesting kick)
You could also definitely bake with it as well! Trust me, you could get pretty creative. :-)
My favorite way to eat apple butter is by funnel..You know, funnel in mouth, pouring can of butter into funnel...butter flowing into mouth...
You get the idea..
Baby Boo's favorite way to eat it is with her hands..
Just as long as they are clean from dog bowls, that's alright with me... ;-)