*This Lemon Chickpea Noodle Soup is my vegetarian version of Chicken Noodle soup with a citrus touch. The lemon is SO perfect and pairs so well with all of the flavors, and gives it such a comforting and light taste! It's perfect to warm your soul on a cold day, with a kick of vitamin C to knock any cold!* ______________________________________________________________________
My husband LOVES soup! So much that he just gets so tickled when I tell him to hurry home from work because there is a nice warm bowl awaiting his hungry belly! Not before he makes a pit stop at Taco Bell (true story) because he actually hates soup and every other meal that I declare healthy and delish.
I think he doesn't love soup because it doesn't satisfy his fast food taste bud. It doesn't come in a cardboard box, greasy paper bag, with a scent of regret.
It may clean your intestines some what the way a meal from any fast food joint may do, but it won't make you re think every life decision you've ever made at 3 in the morning from fast food hallucinations...
I kid....in a way.
Come fall, or the spirit of fall shall we say, I tend to throw all that's in my fridge in a pot with a cups of broth, grab a sweater and count down for Christmas! It's healthy. Despite it being 99 degrees all this week, I keep embracing the fact that I am over with summer and I'm ready for leggings!
I guess my delusions of Fall go hand in hand with my husbands acceptance and delusions of Fast Food...
And if that doesn't make us a strong, #GOALS type of couple, then I don't know what will!
Lemon Chickpea Noodle Soup
- 2 TB. olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 large cloves, diced
- 3 large carrots, sliced semi thin
- 3 sticks celery, diced
- 8 cups vegetable broth, or chicken for a non vegan/veg soup
- 1 can drained and rinsed chickpeas OR one can of white beans for a softer bean
- 2 cups cooked pasta noodles of choice
- juice of 2 lemons (Mine weren't super juicy, so start with one and add more lemon juice if desired)
- 1 TB. dried Italian seasonings
- 1/4 tsp. tumeric, optional for color
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over the stove on medium heat. Add the olive oil, and heat. Add the onions and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the carrots and celery and toss.
- Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Next add in the broth and chickpeas, followed by the lemon juice and seasonings.
- Once the vegetables have softened, add the cooked pasta. You can add un cooked pasta, but add 2 cups more broth for the pasta to soak.
- Serve with lemon slices, fresh parsley, and parmesan cheese on top if desired! Enjoy!
This soup is SO good! If you love chicken noodle soup, you will love this variation. The lemon is the perfect twist and adds an extra level of comfort! Let's not forget the vitamin C punch that would be perfect for any cold!
I'm determined to find a soup that my husband will love, even though the task might be impossible. I'm thinking a beefy baja chalupa soup might be right up his alley....