A lot of people like dessert.
I happen to be one of them.
Some people have savory taste buds, and could care less if they had something sweet after dinner.
I don't associate with those people... :-)
But for those like me, the "sweet eaters" is what we will call them, need that after meal delight and that middle of the day pick me up.
Some of us have that damn Aunt Flo who comes to visit for too long to the point where we want to put on sweats, curl up in a ball, stick a straw in chocolate pudding, sip away and watch P.S. I Love You. (just me?)
It's moments like that where a woman needs her chocolate.
Unfortunately whether Aunt Flo has made her self at home, or I simply just feel the urge, there is some point during everyday that I need that something sweet.
I'll reach for fruit. Doesn't cut it.
Drink some water. Yuck.
Let me just say this. Cookie monster is to cookies like I am to ChOcOlAtE!
So people say to me, "Why not just have a few bites of a buttery cookie? One ain't gonna hurt?
"Why eat a healthy brownie, when you can enjoy a real sinful one? Life's all about enjoyment!"
"Girl, why you be crazy puttin' beans in brownies?! That's freak nastay!"
Here is what I say to that.
Life IS all about enjoyment, and I do not deprive. Trust me, my wedding anniversary is coming up and I plan to stick my face in a pot of Dark Chocolate Fondue from The Melting Pot, and inhale...(And maybe burn my face a tad..Eh?)
But when you crave sweets every day like me, I want to feel good about what I am putting in my mouth, and eventually feel great about what it will do to my butt. ;-) I don't think it's good to be feeding my body rich indulgences everyday. That's why I love to have things like 'healthier' brownies/desserts in general around the house for that re-occuring sweet tooth craving! :-)
Lastly, I don't do moderation. I just can't. Sure, I can handle a few bites of things here n' there...But you can bet your bottom dollar I am DYING inside to eat the whole plate! Therefore, I would rather have 3 hearty wholesome brownies, then a few bites of a decadent and rich one.
Call me crazy...
I know I know..But I promise you, there ain't nothin' freak nastay bout these brownies.
Cookie Dough Layered Fudge Brownies
Ingredients:(for the brownies)
*very slightly adapted from Happy Herbivore's Black Bean Brownies
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
2 bananas(mushier the better)
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1 TB. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. oats
Ingredients:(for the cookie dough layer)
1/2 c. cashews
3 TB. oats
2 TB. maple syrup
1 TB. vanilla
1/2 c. non dairy chocolate chips
dash of salt
1. For the brownies, in a food processor, blend all the ingredients except oats. Blend until pureed and creamy. Pour batter in a bowl and mix in oats. Set aside.
2. Wipe down/clean food processor. Now for the cookie dough, add all the ingredients except chocolate chips. Blend until fine and crumbly. Add in chocolate chips and blend until fine and crumbly. (This won't take long.)
3. Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 pan. Pour half of brownie batter into pan. Crumble cookie dough on top, reserving about 1/4 c. of the cookie dough for later.
4. Pour the rest of the batter on and with a spatula, smooth the top. Next, using the remaining cookie dough, crumbly on top and smooth it out with a spatula.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes. Wait for brownies to cool until you cut them into slices, because they can be extremely hot and gooey...and delicious. (Totally worth the burnt taste buds, just sayin..)
You wouldn't believe how delicious these are! I promise (I say this often...) there is NO taste whatsoever of beans! :-)
And to be honest, these are kind of like protein brownies with the black beans and cashews that are in them.
Ok, ready for a challenge.
I triple dog dare you to eat these without a glass of milk!!
Now THAT'S freak nastay!