I cannot believe the 4th of July is tomorrow! It feels like I just took my Christmas tree down, when in reality, it's almost time to put it back up again!
I really wanted to make a fun dessert for tomorrow, but wanted to keep it pretty healthy and light. I'm sure many of you have seen those watermelons cut into the form of a cake and then frosted with whipped cream right?
So let's pretend that watermelon cake had a baby with a patriotic flag sheet cake, and well..
This is what I came up with! :)
First thing, cut your watermelon. I cut mine into rectangular strips so they would be easy to assemble in the baking dish.
First you add a layer of watermelon, and then frost it with a layer of whipped cream. You can make this vegan by using Coconut Whipped Cream if you would like.
Then add more watermelon...
And then a nice generous spread of more whipped cream.
Then using blueberries and raspberries, assemble the good ol' American Flag!
Watermelon Flag Cake
It may look like your typical 4th of July sheet cake, but it has a nice 'healthy' surprise that's used instead of cake! Fresh Watermelon!
- (This recipe makes an 8x8 or 9x9 size sheet cake)
- 1/2 watermelon, cut into strips
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 8TB. powdered sugar
- 1 TB. vanilla
- Blueberries, raspberries
- Make the whip cream by beating the whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla until peaks form. Set aside.
- Assemble the cake by first adding a single layer of watermelon over the entire bottom of the pan.
- Frost the watermelon layer.
- Then add another layer of watermelon.
- Then top it off with another layer of whipped cream. Be sure to cover the entire watermelon so it doesn't show through.
- Make an American Flag with the berries.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve!
Happy Fourth of July friends!!