Chocolate chip banana bread is probably one of my favorite carbs. Besides sourdough bread, restaurant bread, garlic bread, breadsticks...
Oh and cookies and cakes and muffins. Those are carbs too right?
My mom would make banana bread ALL the time, and still does. Whenever I would visit her house with my girls there was bound to be banana bread somewhere stored on the counter. Or if she wanted to deliver a baked good to someone, it was always banana bread. That and chocolate chip cookies, which always felt like home.
I learned from her to always add cinnamon and other spices to banana bread, and never ever ever forget the chocolate chips. Now, when my bananas ripen on the counter I can't help but get a little excited knowing what the outcome will be. Unless your husband throws them away because he thought they were 'bad'. Don't worry, he only did that once when we were first married. Oh the silly things he thought he could do in our early years of marriage...#whowearsthepants
(If you're wondering who wears the pants, it's our kids.)
Probably my favorite thing about this banana recipe is the amount of bananas. Some days we will have just 2 bananas, and others I'll have a whole bunch go bad before we use them. This recipe calls for about 5 bananas, which I think is the reason why the bread is so moist! (Don't you love that word?)
Make your kids mash the bananas while you prepare the other ingredients, and make this ASAP! You won't regret it!
THE Banana Bread
- 2 1/2 c. flour (You can use white whole wheat, unbleached white, whole wheat pastry, etc.)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sat
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 5 mashed ripe bananas, about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups.
- 3/4 c. softened butter
- 1 1/2 c. pure cane sugar
- 1 TB. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325. Spray a bread pan with baking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Mash bananas in a small bowl, and then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Next add the eggs one at a time, and then vanilla. Then mix in the bananas.
- Next slowly add the dry ingredients until incorporated, and then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add batter to the bread pan and bake for 60-70 minutes. If needed, add foil on top of the bread the last 30 minutes to avoid over browning on the top.
Now, this isn't healthy banana bread, as you can tell by the ingredients. This is comfort food banana bread. The kind that you make for your kids after a long day at school, as you talk about what happened that day. Or the treat that bribes said kid to sit down and do the stinking' homework.
Or maybe you survived bedtime with your kids, and you deserve a reward. Catch my drift?
By the way, if you can't tell, these pictures may look a little different than my others. My DSLR camera decided to quite on my AGAIN, so I was using a regular camera. UGH. A REGULAR camera ;).
Happy Weekend Friends! Treat yourself a little :).