I'm not ashamed to say, but one of my favorite things to snack on is chocolate chip muffins.
It's the perfect combo of carbs & chocolate, which in my opinion are the most important food groups. (Is this a healthy living blog?) A lot of times I spread a dollop of my favorite peanut butter on top and I feel...so happy.
These past few days my kids have been sick AGAIN, and I'm starting to feel like the 'nasty bug' we got in January never left our house. There have been quite a few tears shed, and this morning my daughter kicked me in the face mid tantrum.
Luckily, I made these muffins the day before my kids both got sick, so I had something for them to snack on when they didn't feel like eating a whole meal. Especially Sweet Pea. Her favorite thing to do is carry them through out the house, take a few bites, and then leave them and their crumbs in random places for me to find days later.
My oldest daughter and I are a little more 'civilized' than Sweet Pea, and we enjoy ours crumbled in a bowl over greek yogurt with fresh strawberries. If you haven't done this...You must.
Don't worry. We use fresh crumbs, not the ones found through out the house that were left behind...
Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 c. honey (or other liquid sweetener)
- 1/4c. coconut sugar
- 1/2 c. plain greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c. milk (I used almond)
- 1/2 c. natural peanut butter (or any other nut butter)
- 1 TB. vanilla extract
- 2 TB. melted coconut oil
- 1 1/3c. flour (spelt, Whole Wheat Pastry, etc.)
- 1/3 c. oats
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- Add bananas, honey, sugar, yogurt, egg, milk, peanut butter, and vanilla in a bowl and whisk together until combined. Whisk in melted coconut oil
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry to wet ingredients and stir together, only until combined. (DO not overmix!)
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add batter to greased muffin pan. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or cooked through all the way.
- Enjoy with a spread of peanut butter on top!
I'm hoping by summer the girls immune systems are strong enough, and then maybe we can leave our house and not have cabin fever.
I live in Las Vegas. We don't leave our house in the summer either.