I know that I only have a few sentences to grab your attention, because let's be honest. Reading blogs is all about visual. Pictures. Pictures. And Pictures. So here goes nothing:
I had a dream that Christian Bale and I were eating soup on the set of Little Women, wearing old fashioned gowns. Not him. Me. I also carried a cute white umbrella over my should while he was wearing his batman suit.
Talk about fantasies right?
Long story short, we were eating this soup.
Actually no. None of that happened. But I did watch Little Women this weekend and was reminded why I love find interest in Christian. (First name basis relationship, ya feel me.) I'm also married and love my husband. (Side note.) I beg him every day to grow his hair out longer and talk with a deep batman like voice and rent THE suit. He won't do it.
Why? I don't know. It's football season, so he doesn't really know what's happening around him. Unless I show him a little 'side nursing boob', then pretty much I can get him to do anything I want.
So about this soup. It's a chilly 70 degrees here in the desert, so of course our winter parkas have made their way back into our lives. I would say this is probably my favorite soup to date, mostly because it has a lot of my favorite, as well as my families favorite ingredients in it.
I guess you could say each ingredient holds a special place in each members heart, therefore creating the perfect family.
Now you really need to try it huh?
You see the white beans are for me, the chicken and the corn are my girls, and the green chilies and spices are my husband.
I made Ambitious Kitchens Pumpkin Honey Cornbread Muffins to go along side, with a little honey butter, and BAM.
Perfect Sunday dinner.
All that's missing was Christian...
White Bean and Chicken Soup
- 2 TB. EVOO
- 1/2 onion
- 2 TB. chopped garlic
- 3 TB. butter
- 3 TB. flour
- 1 c. milk mixed with 4 c. chicken broth
- 2 cans cannelini beans, drain and rinse
- 1 can navy beans, drain and rinse
- 2 c. shredded chicken
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1 c. frozen corn
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onions are cook on medium heat, while staring frequently. After a few minutes add the garlic.
- Cook until the onions are translucent, and then add the butter and melt it while continually mixing with a whisk.
- Next whisk in the flour. Whisk for about 1 minute, then mix in the milk and chicken broth.
- Then add in the chicken, chilies, corn, and seasonings.
- Let the soup cook for about 10-15 minutes on medium low heat.
- Eat immediately and enjoy!
- (Optional: You can whisk in a little greek yogurt to each serving to add creaminess. Make sure the soup isn't super hot, or else the yogurt will separate.You might have to adjust the seasonings.)
Now, aren't you glad you read that story? :)